Truly Great Teaching
Truly Great Teaching at Eden Primary: September 2016
Teachers build strong, emotionally responsive relationships with all children in which they:
- See children as capable and competent and have high expectations for achievement and behaviour
- Respect, value and listen to children
- Encourage confidence and risk taking
- Celebrate diversity and care about inclusion
- Reflect the school’s core values
- Manage behaviour for learning effectively
Teaching, Learning and Assessment
- Children’s love of learning is inspired at all times by stimulating and engaging learning experiences across a balanced and integrated Jewish and General Studies curriculum.
- Teachers have strong knowledge of the curriculum and research good practice.
- Teaching is planned to ensure that all children are engaged in meaningful, challenging and purposeful learning experiences, making progress and achieving great outcomes.
- Children make or exceed expected progress
- Lessons have clear learning objectives and success criteria which are shared with and made relevant to the children.
- Teachers use subject knowledge and assessment to progress learning, identify misconceptions and adapt teaching.
- Teachers provide feedback to children about achievements and targets verbally and in next step marking.
- Teaching assistants work effectively as directed by class teachers to support learning.
- Teachers build strong and professional relationships with parents and carers.
- Teachers promote high standards of literacy and numeracy across the curriculum
The Eden Primary Learning Environment is:
- Calm, safe and orderly as a result of effective classroom organisation
- Reflects the school ethos and values
- Inspires and supports learning
- Communicates high expectations
- Express thoughts and ideas and engage in respectful discourse
- Think creatively, critically and imaginatively
- Engage in peer and self-evaluation and articulate next steps for development
- Remain engaged in learning tasks independently or as part of a collaborative group
- Take responsibility for their own behaviour to create a happy and purposeful atmosphere conducive to learning for all.
- Explore, and investigate and play to construct knowledge and understanding in social interactions
Each lesson at Eden:
- Is pitched at a challenging level taking account of NC and EYFS expectations
- Is intellectually challenging, stimulating and meaningful for all children to ensure strong outcomes
- Is well paced and uses time productively to ensure that children make progress; whole class sessions are interactive and of an appropriate length
- Draws on children’s experiences, personal connections and prior knowledge
- Is carefully scaffolded, resources and differentiated for each and every child
- Involves good questioning from children and adults
- Requires enquiry and thought
- Involves discussion and the expression of ideas
- Is well-resourced to support and inspire
- Provides children with feedback about their learning and next steps for improvement
- Has high expectations of and develops successful learning behaviours, presentation, literacy and numeracy
- Involve children thinking about and reflecting on their learning and progress; metacognition
- Involves assessment and record keeping
Is structured in the following way:
- Clear learning objective articulated. By the end of this lesson you will be able to….
- Exciting input/provocation at start; either a stimulating, exploratory activity or whole class teacher led interactive input
- Discussion and questioning to clarify meaning or learning
- Clear modelling of expectations in every respect: task, presentation, success criteria for any task set, learning behaviours
- Tasks which may be independent or a group led by an adult
- Continued teacher input while children work independently or in groups: feedback redirection, exemplification, addressing misconceptions and mistakes
- Closure/plenary to address issues, comment on learning, check learning, evaluate learning.